Smoke detector alerts sleeping homeowner to fire

An Orcas Island family is safe and their home mostly unscathed after their dishwasher caught fire Wednesday morning. 

The homeowner, who was sleeping in an adjacent room, was alerted to the fire when smoke detectors sounded throughout the home. 

With a quick call to 9-1-1, the homeowner then safely extinguished the fire. Orcas Island Firefighters arrived to find minimal damage to the home. 

“This is a strong example of the importance of having working smoke detectors,” shared Battalion Chief Patrick Shepler.

Lt. Alan Stameisen added, “Thanks to an early alert from the working smoke detector and quick action of the homeowner, the fire was contained to a small portion of the kitchen.”

All too often in this line of work firefighters see homes destroyed and lives lost due to faulty smoke detectors. Orcas Island Fire & Rescue urges you to check your smoke detectors monthly, change the batteries every six months, and replace detectors every 10 years or as recommended by the manufacturer. 

Smoke detectors should be located inside each bedroom, outside each sleeping area, and on every level of the home, including the basement. Fire extinguishers should also be kept in multiple locations around your home – ensuring you always have one in reach. 

Stay safe and check your smoke detectors today. 

Scroll to Top