End of Life Directives (POLST) & Lifesaving Information For Emergencies
POLST Packets and LIFE Forms
We are happy to provide free Lifesaving Information For Emergencies (LIFE) and Physicians Order for Life-Sustaining Treatment (POLST) medical form packets to Orcas Island residents.
Visit the fire station from 8 am to 4 pm and ask to pick up a "POLST Packet."
- In the event of an emergency, the LIFE form provides vital information when it’s needed most.
- Update your LIFE form with changes in medications, insurance, or hospital preferences.
- Please add any information about who we can call to take care of your animals if you have any (especially farm animals!).
- Complete the LIFE form, insert it in the provided envelope, and place it in a highly visible or predictable location.
- EMTs are trained to look on or in your refrigerator/freezer.
- We provide a LIFE magnet to place on your refrigerator to tell us the location of your LIFE and POLST paperwork.
- Orcas Island medical service personnel who respond to your emergency will utilize the information to provide the best quality care.
- You may also use the Physicians Order for Life-Sustaining Treatment (POLST) form or other types of advanced directives.
- More information is available at POLST.org.
- A POLST must be discussed with and signed by your physician.
- Packets include information about med-evac (flight) memberships.
Remember: You may not be able to convey your wishes in an emergency. Be prepared and help us help you.