Interested candidates who meet the qualifications can send their resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. First consideration given to materials received by 5/19/23.
Our Fire Department
Our mission is “to save lives and protect property through services delivered with professionalism and compassion.” We envision providing high-quality services that contribute to a safe, healthy, and thriving community in a transparent and accountable manner that fosters trust and community engagement. We are neighbors serving neighbors.
San Juan County Fire District 2 is a combination fire department providing fire and emergency medical services to the citizens and taxpayers of Orcas Island, Washington. With an area of 57.3 square miles, Orcas Island has a population of 5,387 (2010 census).
Orcas Island showcases miles of shoreline with numerous public and private beaches. Surrounding land masses offer protection from harsh weather, so the San Juan Islands enjoy a year-round climate that is more moderate than other locations in the Pacific Northwest.
The islanders gather in several quaint villages dotted around the island, with Eastsound being the major hub of island activity. Each community is unique and celebrates its individuality in different ways throughout the year.
This beautiful island has something for everyone … kayak in the Puget Sound; climb a mountain trail to enjoy the beautiful vistas; see Orca whales and marine wildlife; stroll through Eastsound village, exploring the small-town shops; enjoy a wide array of superb dining choices; or simply sit back, relax, and enjoy the natural beauty of Orcas Island.
To explore the islands' real estate, school system, and business opportunities, please visit the Orcas Island Chamber of Commerce at https://orcasislandchamber.com/ and San Juan Island Visitors Bureau at https://www.visitsanjuans.com/orcas-island.
Salary Range: $70,000-$90,000 annual salary based upon experience.
Hybrid Work Setting: This position has the option to be performed in a hybrid office setting (partial remote and partial in-person work schedule).
Medical, Dental & Vision Insurance
Washington State Department of Retirement Systems
Deferred Compensation Plan
Vacation, Sick, and Holidays
The Finance Manager reports to the Fire Chief and is responsible for the routine and higher-level accounting and financial reporting duties in support of the Orcas Island Fire & Rescue’s operations.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
• Manages all accounting operations, including budget control, cash management, and grants management.
• Coordinates benefits for all new hires/volunteers.
• Processes payroll in a timely and accurate manner.
• Processes accounts payable and accounts receivable.
• Performs bank and credit card reconciliations.
• Prepares the annual budget and budget adjustments.
• Prepares and presents monthly financial and budget reports, including state and federal reporting.
• Presents various reports to the Chief and Board of Fire Commissioners in open public meetings.
• Supports collective bargaining process through proposal costing.
• Manages grant administration.
• Oversees and audits EMS billing performed by a third-party contractor.
• Serves as audit liaison during external audits.
• Works with and maintains confidential information.
• Develops, maintains, and ensures optimal utilization of financial accounting information systems.
• Compiles, completes, and ensures timely monthly and year-end financial closing; reviews monthly and year-end financial statements and supporting documentation; reviews statements, schedules, and reports for accuracy and completeness.
• Performs other duties and special projects as assigned.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS:
• Post-secondary schooling in business, finance, or accounting. Bachelor’s degree preferred.
• Five or more years of related experience in progressive roles
• Public sector finance experience preferred
• A combination of education and experience, which provide the applicant with the desired skills, knowledge, and ability required to perform the job, may be considered.
KNOWLEDGE, ABILITIES, AND SKILLS:
• Knowledge and application of principles and practices of Accounting
• Proficient in various software applications, including Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, Outlook) and automated accounting systems
• Strong organizational and analytical skills
• Ability to work independently when required, prioritize workflow and meet recurring deadlines
• Excellent communication skills and the ability to build and maintain relationships
• A strong sense of integrity
• Attention to detail and accuracy
- Principals only. Recruiters, please don't contact this job poster.
- do NOT contact us with unsolicited services or offers